Labor Day, “the unofficial end of summer,” is just around the corner. Kids are heading back to school, work starts to pick up, and holiday festivities will begin before we know it (or are ready for it!). Let’s make sure we make the most of this last summer-time long weekend.
Today I'm sharing my Labor Day party go-to's, including my favorite cocktail, my yummy potato salad (courtesy of Patricia Wells), and what I'll be wearing.
The Americano is my favorite daytime cocktail. The classic aperitif is perfect for a warm day outside as it's refreshing, fairly low in alcohol and looks and tastes divine. What more could you need?
- 1.5 oz each of Aperol and Antica Vermouth
- Club soda to taste
- Pour over ice and add a slice of orange
I love this potato salad recipe because you can make it ahead of time, it goes with almost any entrée, AND if there’s any left-overs, simply sautee it in a little oil the next day and serve with a green salad and grilled fish. Simple tasty dinner!
Warm Potato Salad with Herbed Vinaigrette
- 1 ½ lbs small new red-skinned potatoes – not peeled
- ½ cup, plus 2 Tb virgin olive oil
- 3 Tb white wine vinegar
- 2 Tb white wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- chopped fresh parsley
- snipped fresh chives
- Steam potatoes covered until steamed through
- Whisk together ½ cup olive oil, 2 TB vinegar, the wine 1 tsp salt in small bowl
- Drain potatoes, let cool enough to handle, cut in half, combine with oil and vinegar mixture, set aside.
- In small bowl make final dressing: Whisk remaining 2 Tb olive oil, remaining 1 Tb vinegar, parsley, shallots, and chives.
- Just before serving, toss the potatoes gently with the herbed dressing.